Friday, December 9, 2011

Like a Child

Each week I have the privilege of teaching music to the preschoolers at Concordia Academy.  Most days, I walk out of there with a smile I didn’t have going in.  Why?  The kids’ excitement is contagious.  They see things through brand new eyes.  When talking about pumpkins before Halloween, several of them excitedly jumped in my lap to tell me about a pumpkin they had seen the day before.  Now I love all things pumpkin, but I don’t think I’ve ever jumped into anyone’s lap about it.

They’re the same way with Christmas.  They see it with a lens that hasn’t been dirtied by bad experiences, rough family life, or a slow economy.  They appreciate the simplicity, the beauty, and the miracle of a baby born in a stable.  Are they excited about presents?  Well, of course, who isn’t?  This year, look at the manger with kid eyes, and hear the story of Jesus’ birth for the first time all over again.

“Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”  Mark 10:15

No comments: