Monday, December 5, 2011

The Mean


Just a note - I am aware that in the context of the hymn "Once in Royal David's City," the word mean does not mean someone who is not nice - it means powerless.  However, for the purpose of this devotion, I chose to take it a different direction.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love my dogs like they are my own children.  Our big dog, Bryson, sleeps in the bed with us, and I will gladly give up my comfort in order for him to have the most warm, snuggly spot possible.  Occasionally, someone will come over who doesn’t share the same love and affection as I do for my dogs, or any dogs, for that matter. 

I have to be honest.

I have a really hard time being friends with those who don’t like dogs.  Who doesn’t like dogs?!  I seldom invite these people over, because honestly, I assume they are just downright mean if they don’t love these sweet angels as much as I do.  In my love for the dogs, however, I’m not being very Godly towards people.  God has called us to love the “meanies,” and pray for our enemies.  Stress of the holidays can often bring out hurt emotions and attitudes that don’t normally befit us.  Take some time today to smile at the person who is begrudgingly doing their work, gave you a rude look, or doesn’t like dogs.  Remember that they might have something else that they are struggling with, and could use some kindness.

“But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,” Matthew 5:44

No comments: